Friday, October 7, 2011

My second book review "The Realms Thereunder"



I have been a Sci Fi/Fantasy junkie since ever. I love putting myself in a world where the current rules don't all apply. I love opening up possibilities and opportunities to play with reality. Since I have become a Christian I have shied away from Sci Fi/Fantasy because it didn't seem right. I was so happy to receive this new book "The Realms Thereunder" to fill my Fantasy fix.

The premise of the book, without giving anything big away is that there is a force of timeless soldiers that protect the modern day earth from dark forces. These soldiers have been asleep but there is great dark power building and they may need to wake up.

We follow two young adults. Freya Reynolds and Daniel Tully, on their journey. Daniel is a person hungry for a chance to make a difference and to escape his poor and abusive childhood. Freya would rather not be put in the middle of anything. She just wants to be normal, and not stand out. She has a touch of OCD (a bit more than a touch). She is cast into this journey against her wishes.

The book is well written and the possibilities are endless. I like the premise and the plot development. I love Daniel and relate to him well. He is not afraid to take on any challenge. I look for Freya to become more open. She hides information and wants so desperately to blend in. I cannot like her. Well maybe in the next book.

It sure filled my Fantasy needs and I look forward to the next book.


Here is the official backstory:

Ancient legend tells of an army of knights that will remain sleeping until the last days.
The knights are waking up.
A homeless man is stalked by a pale, wraithlike creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth. Maimed animals and a host of suicides cluster around a mountain in Scotland. And deep beneath the cobbled streets of Oxford, a malicious hoard besieges a hidden city.
Freya Reynolds is a university student with a touch of OCD and an obsession with myth and folklore. Daniel Tully is living rough on the streets of Oxford, waging a secret war against an enemy only he can identify. Years ago, they found themselves in a world few know is real. They have since gone their separate ways and tried to put that adventure behind them.
But the mythical world is now bleeding into our reality—a dark spiritual evil that is manifesting itself in forgotten corners of the British Isles. Alex Simpson is a Scottish police officer who specializes in hunting mythical creatures. Together, they must confront the past, the present, and points beyond to defeat the ultimate threat to humanity.
Nothing they've seen so far prepares them for what awaits . . . in The Realms Thereunder.


No comments: